Stats

Friday, July 7, 2017

Summers at the drive in

Shorts: Made (Thrifted)
Shirt: Faded Glory
Sneakers: Converse
Purse: Thrifted (Coach)
**Photos taken by my bestie Libby and myself**
I don't know if you have ever been to a drive in movie, but we have a drive in movie theater 20 minutes from our house and it is one of the greatest outings, especially in the summer time. Over the course of our drive in's existence I have probably gone to see close to 10 or more movies there and each time has been such a fun adventure. On this particular night we went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean and Guardians of the Galaxy II, which were both great movies! 
I think drive in's might hold a special place in my heart, because they remind me of the "good ole days" when going to the drive in on a summer night was "the thing to do" for teens as they sat in their station wagons sipping cocacola, eating hotdogs, and snacking on popcorn as they listened to the movie sounds playing over the car speakers. Every time I visit the drive in, I can't help wanting to go back in time to the 50's, especially when you turn on the radio to the movie station and hear swing music playing before the feature. 
I've watched movies at the drive in packed into the back of a suburban like sardines, dangling off the tailgate of a truck, and sitting on a hill in lawn chairs.....there's no right or wrong way to watch a movie there, but sitting in the back of a truck has to be my favorite.....the only thing that would make it better is if I had a pink Cadillac to sit in (maybe one day). 
Nevertheless, whatever the season, or the movie (or movies, because at ours you get two features for $8) I always have a list of Drive In necessities:
  1. Plenty of snacks! My favorite's to bring are popcorn, sour patch kids, reeses, twizzlers, and candy Peaches. If I am feeling extra, I might even buy something at the drive in like chili cheese fries or a large popcorn:)
  2. Don't forget water, or lemonade, or a good old fashioned retro soda. 
  3. TONS of pillows and blankets! I always pile the pack seat of the car full of all the pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags in the house to make a super fluffy bed to sit on. 
  4. Bring games. Since we usually get to the theater around 6 pm, and the first movie doesn't start till around 8 it's always fun to have a few games to play while waiting. 
  5. A boombox! This is one of the lifesavers, because if you use your car radio you can run out of battery and have to be jumped off at the end of the movie, so bringing a boom box keeps you from running down your car battery. 
Have you ever been to the drive in?
What is your favorite thing about drive in movies?
-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment