Stats

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Fall Reading List

Ever remember me mentioning I have a LOT of books (like close to 200)? Well, thanks to thrift stores and online sites like Thrift Books I have developed quite the library. However, with so many books it is assumed that one would indeed read all of them. Unfortunately, while I adore books I don't always get a chance to read like I used to and thus have decided to change that! You may remember me mentioning back in my August Plans & Goals post, saying that I wanted to start and read a book. Well I have compiled a stack of titles from my collection that I hope to finish this fall semester, which roughly breaks down to 1 book per month. I REALLY hope I will be motivated to start reading again! Sometimes it takes me a while to get into a book if it is from a genre that I don't often read or has a plot that is different than my norm. However, I want to branch out and become more diversified in my reading and this seems like a great place to start :) 
Believe it or not, I actually found every one of these books at Goodwill, accept Scarlet which I picked up on Thriftbooks.com for $4 (so all in all I only spent $11 total on all 5 books). Books are a slight weakness of mine, even if I am not able to read them right away I still buy them if they sound interesting. Thus, I have compiled a synopsis for each book and my thoughts on reading it below, so without further adieu, keep reading to see what books I hope to finish this fall semester:
Countdown: The story of a formative year in 12-year-old Franny Chapman's life, and the life of a nation facing the threat of nuclear war. It's 1962, and it seems everyone is living in fear. Twelve-year-old Franny Chapman lives with her family in Washington, DC, during the days surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. Amidst the pervasive threat of nuclear war, Franny must face the tension between herself and her younger brother, figure out where she fits in with her family, and look beyond outward appearances. For Franny, as for all Americans, it's going to be a formative year. 
(I have been on a 1960’s kick recently so this book sound perfect)
Lovely Bones: It is the story of a teenage girl who, after being raped and murdered, watches from her personal Heaven as her family and friends struggle to move on with their lives while she comes to terms with her own death. 
(while this book sounds a bit serious, deep, and sad, the plot of the book seems very intriguing as the family deals with the loss of a child and coping with grief. Plus, it sounds like a book that would be a Criminal Minds episode, so I am curious to know how it plays out. Also, this book was made into a movie, so after I read it I really want to watch the movie.)
Blue Like Jazz: This semi-autobiographical work, subtitled "Non-Religious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality," is a collection of essays and personal reflections chronicling the author's growing understanding of the nature of God and Jesus, and the need and responsibility for an authentic personal response to that understanding. Much of the work centers on Miller's experiences with friends and fellow students while auditing courses at Reed College, a liberal arts college in Portland, Oregon. The book deals with inward spiritual dealings as Don, his friends Penny, Laura and others struggle with finding meaning in life and the ultimate battle with God ending with choosing him or choosing one's self. 
(Donald Miller’s writing style to me is similar to N.D. Wilson, who is one of my favorite authors, and I loved his second book “Looking for God Knows What” so I am curious to see how his first book compares)
The Various:  It is the first book of the Touchstone Trilogy which continues with Celandine and Winter Wood. The trilogy tells the story of the hidden tribes of little people who live in a tangled forest on a hill in Somerset, and their interactions with the children at the farm on whose land the hill stands. The tribes, who call themselves the 'Various', live difficult, self-sufficient lives, always in fear of discovery by the 'Gorji', or giants, as they call the humans who now dominate the countryside. 
(I picked this book up at Goodwill because it sounded so intriguing and I have always been one with an imagination for fairytale like stories with little people who are actually real and live in their own miniature world)
Scarlet: Is the second novel in Marissa Meyer's The Lunar Chronicles. The story is loosely based on the fairy tale of "Little Red Riding Hood", similar to its previous book Cinder which was loosely based on "Cinderella". 
(After seeing a number of avid book readers on Instagram raving about the Lunar Chronicles I finally read the first book, Cinder, and loved it! I can’t wait to see what book two has in store for all of the characters)
Have you read any of these books or heard of these authors?
Do you have a current reading list?
What is a book you are currently working on?
-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment