Stats

Sunday, June 5, 2016

DIY Flower Crowns

Apparently when you post a picture on Instagram of the flower crown you are making you must then post a DIY on the blog about it! I wasn't originally planning to write a post on my flower crown making but after the interest on Instagram I thought "Why Not?" and off to taking pictures of my process I went with my sister looking inquisitively at me and my tripod propped up on a kitchen chair beeping with the self timer.....tis a bloggers life:)
This past Saturday, my sister, myself, and my best friend worked a wedding up at my church (which was oh so much fun!) and the reception just happened to have the most lovely and natural looking vertical flower arrangements on the tables. Well, as the obsessed flower girl that I am I asked what was to be done with the flowers after the reception and discovered to my delight that we could take some of them home with us! Thus, the flower arrangements provided me with a huge assortment of flowers and greenery to fill my flower crown making desire and ideas.......
I have never actually watched a tutorial on making a flower crown, I just kind of came up with my own method and it works splendidly! Therefore, you will need a pair of scissors, a roll of copper wire (the kind found in the jewelry making section) and a decent amount of flower buds and greenery to mix in contrast. 
Step #1:
Pick a single flower to start with and either wrap the wire around the stem or gently stick the wire up the flower step so that it sticks out about 3 inches at the top. Do not cut the wire as it will be used at the end. 
Step #2:
Now is the time to let your creative juices flow freely through your brain waves and out your fingers! Now you simply start choosing different flowers and greenery to overlap the previous flower on the crown and you gently wrap the wire around the flower stem 2 to 3 times, securing it on top of the flower in front of it. 
Step #3:
I find that it is easier to leave the flowers a 2 to 3 inch stem until you have secured it onto the crown and then you can trim what sticks out. This way there is more to overlap on the previous flower's stem and thus create a nice support besides the wire. 
Step #4: 
Continue to add flowers, buds, and greenery to the crown that is taking shape as you overlap the stems and wrap the wire around the ends, securing them in place. 
Step #5:
I like to alternate colors of the flowers throughout the crown to create balance and then add touches of greenery every 3-4 flowers as a contrast to the bright colors. Depending on which flowers you have chosen to use your crown might simply be a crown of colorful flowers without greenery, but that is where you have "creative license" and the choice is totally up to you! 
Step #6:
As you near the end of the crown, take a moment to hold what you have created so far around your head, measuring its size and determining whether or not you need to add a few more buds. 
Step #7:
Once you measured the flower crown's size in relation to your own head, snip the wire end leaving 3 inches like the other side. Now all you have to do is overlap the beginning flower with the end of the crown and wrap the wire underneath the buds, securing it out of sight. (be careful to tuck and pointed ends under)
I hope you all enjoyed this DIY......maybe there will be more DIY posts in the future here, but for now enjoy the sheer beauty of flowers and flower crowns! Now it is your turn to put your creativity to work and make your own :) If you try my method or even create your own I would love to see what you come up with so post it on your social media account (if you have one) and tag me! P.S. The best part about flower crowns is you can always let them dry out and then you will have a dried flower crown forever! 
Do you like my method for making a flower crown?
Have you ever made a flower crown before?
-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment